Pedestrian subway at ITO thrown open to public
New Delhi: A pedestrian subway at the busy ITO intersection in the national capital, built by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation with an unconventional technology, was thrown open to the public on Friday.
The subway has been constructed using `box-pushing technology` that instead of traditional digging, uses a box pushing method, that allows work to be caried out without creating any traffic disruptions or diversions.
Delhi Police Commissioner, B S Bassi inaugurated the facility in the presence of DMRC Managing Director, Mangu Singh and other DMRC senior officials.
The subway, work on which had started in June-July last year, connects Delhi Police Headquarters and the Engineers Bhawan on the extremely busy Indraprastha Road.
It is part of the under-construction ITO metro station and will cater to pedestrians crossing the extremely busy ITO intersection.
The timings of the subway for the general public will be from 6 AM to 10 PM. "Delhi Metro is committed to the safety of its commuters especially women. We are hopeful that this subway will be of great benefit to the pedestrians who cross the busy ITO intersection everyday," the DMRC Managing Director said.
The subway, which is 9 m deep from the ground level, will provide a safe and easy passage to pedestrians crossing the ITO as well as provide connectivity to the upcoming ITO metro station at the concourse level, a DMRC official spokesperson said.
The interiors of the subway have been built using black, grey and red granite for the flooring of subway alongwith false ceiling and facia on the walls.
The subway has one escalator at Gate no 6 (towards Engineers Bhawan) and one escalator at Gate no 5 (towards Police Headquarters) for the convenience of the passengers.
There is a provision for one lift each at gates No 5 and 6 which are under construction. The ITO station has 6 entry/exit points--two entry/exits on Indraprastha Marg are near Agarwal Chowk (ITO) near Delhi Police Headquarters and Engineers Bhawan, two entry/exits are on either side of the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg and two entry/exits on Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg.
Another pedestrian subway is under construction on Deen Dayal Upadhayay Marg, which also being built using the Box Pushing Technology and will connect Entry No 1 (towards Andhra Education Society) and Entry No 2 (towards Indian National Science Academy) of the upcoming ITO station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report