Peon with MI among four arrested for robbery-cum-murder
New Delhi: A peon with Military Intelligence
was among four persons arrested here today for allegedly
murdering an octogenarian man and injuring an elderly woman
while robbing their houses two days ago, police said.
Dinabandu Mallik, who is reported absent from work for
the past one year, received stolen goods from robbers Saleem
and Sonu who allegedly murdered a retired government employee
Janakrakh Lekhi (86) at his Kalkaji residence, they said.
Saleem and Sonu along with three of their associates had
entered the house of Lekhi in the wee hours of May 12 and
gagged him. They then entered the adjoining house of Vidya
Gulbani (76) and gagged her before decamping with articles.
Lekhi, who was later declared brought dead at a hospital,
was found lying in a pool of blood by his maid while Gulbani
was found tied and injured by her grandson who came from an
"We have arrested four persons -- Saleem, Sonu, Mallik
and Usman, a scrap dealer, who bought the stolen articles from
Mallik. Three more persons involved in the case are on the
run," Delhi Police Commissioner Y S Dadwal told reporters.
"Mallik is an employee of Defence Ministry and serving as
peon in the Military Intelligence wing at Army Head Quarters.
He is running absent from his duty since May 2009," he said.
Mallik, who allegedly received the stolen materials from
the robbers, resold it to Usman, he said. Mallik holds two
government accommodations in his name in Pushp Vihar Sector-5
and R K Puram Sector-2.
"He has rented out his Pushp Vihar accommodation to
Dawood Ahmad, a private company employee, who used to be his
tenant in R K Puram. He is presently staying in a rented house
in Govindpuri though the R K Puram house is lying vacant," the
Mallik allegedly receives stolen property from persons
who are illiterate. He was also been involved in petty
offences of thefts, Dadwal said.
The arrests came after police received inputs that some
youths, who were involved in petty theft cases and used to
gather at Hans Raj Sethi Park, Kalkaji, were involved in the
incidents that raised the issue of safety of senior citizens
in the city . Police also received information that they were
again meeting in the same park early this morning.
"Saleem and Sonu were arrested when they reached the
spot. Their interrogation led to Mallik and subsequently to
Usman," Dadwal said.
During searches, police recovered a silver coin `Ajay
weds Sushmita, 23 June 2004` from Saleem which was robbed from
Gulbani`s house. Police also recovered an Italian cap of Lekhi
which was presented to him by his Italy-based daughter.
"These recoveries proved that they were involved in the
incidents. Saleem, Sonu and their associates are vagabonds.
They have been taking food from Kalkaji Mandir and Bhairon
Mandit Bhandaras and sleep on the pavements. They have no
permanent place to reside in Delhi," he said.
Virendra Chahal, Additional Commissioner (southeast),
said Mallik and Saleem had also taken a room on rent in Noida
Sector to hide themselves after committing major crimes
During interrogation, Chahal said, Saleem and Sonu told
police that they had consumed alcohol with their associates in
Hans Raj Sethi Park and then committed robberies in the two
"A screw driver and pipe wrench used by them for removing
the grills of windows to gain entry were also recovered," he
Mallik was arrested after they disclosed that they sold a
silver tea pot along with two bowls robbed from Gulbani`s
house to him.
They also told police that the remaining looted articles
and cash have been taken away by their associates.
"They told us that Mallick was to meet them in the park.
We laid a trap and he was arrested. Mallick told us that he
sold the tea pot to Usman after which he was also arrest,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview