People block NH-37 in Assam protesting police action
Guwahati/Golaghat: A large number of people on Wednesday blocked the NH-37 by burning tyres and felling trees on the road at Borsapori, Borjuri and Kuruwabahi in protest against the police action in Rongajan in Golaghat district.
The demonstrators with banners and placards burnt tyres and said that they would continue with their protest against the police action yesterday till the government provided them protection, officials said.
The protestors, including local people and neighbouring Adivasi tea garden workers, raised slogans against Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for allegedly failing to give protection to the people along the Assam-Nagaland border.
Several vehicles, including trucks with essential goods towards Nagaland, remained stranded and people could not go for their work in Numaligarh Refinery due to the blockade, they said.
However, the blockade was lifted after a couple of hours as officials assured them of security.
A total of 18 persons, including women, were injured when police fired rubber pellets and used batons at Rangajan when protestors turned violent and attacked police and CRPF following a road blockade agitation yesterday.
Another person in a bid to escape the lathicharge was killed when he was run over by a vehicle there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere