People block NH-37 in Assam protesting police action
Guwahati/Golaghat: A large number of people on Wednesday blocked the NH-37 by burning tyres and felling trees on the road at Borsapori, Borjuri and Kuruwabahi in protest against the police action in Rongajan in Golaghat district.
The demonstrators with banners and placards burnt tyres and said that they would continue with their protest against the police action yesterday till the government provided them protection, officials said.
The protestors, including local people and neighbouring Adivasi tea garden workers, raised slogans against Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for allegedly failing to give protection to the people along the Assam-Nagaland border.
Several vehicles, including trucks with essential goods towards Nagaland, remained stranded and people could not go for their work in Numaligarh Refinery due to the blockade, they said.
However, the blockade was lifted after a couple of hours as officials assured them of security.
A total of 18 persons, including women, were injured when police fired rubber pellets and used batons at Rangajan when protestors turned violent and attacked police and CRPF following a road blockade agitation yesterday.
Another person in a bid to escape the lathicharge was killed when he was run over by a vehicle there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside