Perjury complaint in Jessica murder case: Shayan granted bail
New Delhi: Bollywood actor Shayan Munshi, who is facing prosecution for allegedly turning hostile in Jessica Lall murder case, has been granted bail by a Delhi court which fixed the matter for February 5 for hearing arguments on the framing of charge.
Munshi, who had appeared before the court in pursuance to a summon issued against him, moved the bail plea which was allowed by Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash on the ground that the offence alleged against him was bailable.
"The present complaint under section 195 CrPC read with section 340 CrPC has been filed against the accused in respect of offence under section 193 (giving or fabricating false evidence in a judicial proceeding) IPC which is bailable in nature.
"Having regard to the entire facts and circumstances, the accused is admitted to bail on furnishing personal bond in the sum of Rs 50,000 with one surety of like amount....," the court said.
It also imposed several conditions on Munshi, saying he would regularly attend the hearings and shall not influence witnesses or tamper with the records in any manner and would inform it before leaving India.
Meanwhile, another accused Prem Manocha, who was then working as a ballistic expert, also appeared before the court in connection with the case and his counsel placed on record the certified copy of September 20, 2013 order passed by the Supreme Court by which proceedings against him have been stayed.
The court adjourned the proceedings against Manocha till February 5, next year. Munshi, who was led as primary witness of prosecution the Jessica murder case, and Manocha are accused of lying on oath during trial before the sessions court and introducing the "two-gun theory", which was the primary defence taken by the convicts.
The Delhi High Court registrar had filed two separate complaints against them in September after the high court had passed an order on March 22 directing their prosecution for perjury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Religious tensions bristle in Myanmar village after mosque destroyed
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand