‘Phase-III of Delhi Metro will not suffer delay’
New Delhi: Delhi Metro is confident of rolling out all corridors under Phase-III to the public by 2016 as planned despite hurdles in securing permission from National Monument Authority and acquisition of land.
Delhi Metro will start opening Lines under the Phase-III, which would add another 140 km of the capital to the Metro network, from September, 2015 to March, 2016 in phases and there would be no delay in this regard.
Jitendra Tyagi, director (Works), Delhi Metro, admitted there were hurdles in the construction of the Phase-III network in the form of permission from the NMA in the Central Secretariat-Kashmeri Gate corridor and acquisition of land for depot in Vinod Nagar which falls under the category of forest.
"Initially, the progress is always slow. Once the civil contract is awarded, half the job is done....We are confident of meeting the target," he told reporters.
He said construction on some lines are delayed but there will be no change in the schedule.
Tyagi said 12 percent of the work on Phase-III has been completed and all civil contracts have been awarded.
Two corridors of the Phase-III -- Central Secretariat to Mandi House and Jehangirpuri to Bali -- would be opened to public in 2014, ahead of the schedule. The Central Secretariat -Mandi House stretch would reduce burden on the busy Rajiv Chowk station, he said.
Tyagi also listed the number of initiatives being taken by the Delhi Metro to sensitise workers at the site about safety and etiquettes.
Street plays by artistes and booklets explaining the do`s and don’ts at the construction sites are some of the safety measures that are being taken up, he said.
300 such plays would be organised across all construction sites of the Delhi Metro till 2016 and three specialised agencies have been hired by DMRC to perform these plays.
Tyagi said the Phase-III would be more useful for people as 9 to 10 interchange stations would be added to the network after its completion in 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says