Philippines-based woman sent to jail for possessing contraband
New Delhi: A Filipino woman, arrested at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport in 2006 with two kgs of heroin in her possession, has been sentenced to ten years in jail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) MK Nagpal also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on 44-year-old Ma Sol Baillo, a resident of Manduriao in Philippines, holding her guilty under various sections of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act.
"Keeping in view the age, family background and all other attending circumstances, the convict (Baillo) is being awarded the minimum sentence of rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years each...," the court said.
Baillo was arrested on June 13, 2006 by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) on a tip-off that she was to travel to Bangkok with a suitcase containing the contraband.
The DRI sleuths intercepted Baillo at the IGI airport and during her search, they found a packet of two kgs of heroin, concealed in the false bottom of her suitcase.
During the trial, Baillo denied recovery of the drug from her suitcase and said she was falsely implicated in the case and all the proceedings were done at the DRI`s office where her signatures were also taken on many blank papers.
She claimed she had come to India on a tourist visa to see some historical places and when she was going to make an ISD call to her family from a STD booth at the airport, she was apprehended and was forcibly taken to the DRI office and the heroin was planted upon her.
The court, however, brushed aside her contentions and convicted her saying "the prosecution has also successfully proved an attempt on the part of the accused to export the above contraband substance..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city