Philippines-based woman sent to jail for possessing contraband
New Delhi: A Filipino woman, arrested at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport in 2006 with two kgs of heroin in her possession, has been sentenced to ten years in jail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) MK Nagpal also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on 44-year-old Ma Sol Baillo, a resident of Manduriao in Philippines, holding her guilty under various sections of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act.
"Keeping in view the age, family background and all other attending circumstances, the convict (Baillo) is being awarded the minimum sentence of rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years each...," the court said.
Baillo was arrested on June 13, 2006 by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) on a tip-off that she was to travel to Bangkok with a suitcase containing the contraband.
The DRI sleuths intercepted Baillo at the IGI airport and during her search, they found a packet of two kgs of heroin, concealed in the false bottom of her suitcase.
During the trial, Baillo denied recovery of the drug from her suitcase and said she was falsely implicated in the case and all the proceedings were done at the DRI`s office where her signatures were also taken on many blank papers.
She claimed she had come to India on a tourist visa to see some historical places and when she was going to make an ISD call to her family from a STD booth at the airport, she was apprehended and was forcibly taken to the DRI office and the heroin was planted upon her.
The court, however, brushed aside her contentions and convicted her saying "the prosecution has also successfully proved an attempt on the part of the accused to export the above contraband substance..."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!