Phoolan`s murder accused offers to help poor Tihar inmates
New Delhi: Sher Singh Rana, the prime accused in bandit-turned-politician Phoolan Devi murder case, on Monday told a court here that he wants to help poor Tihar jail inmates with a part of the royalty from his autobiography.
In his plea to Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash, Rana said a leading publishing house has published his autobiography `Jail Diary: Tihar se Kabul Kandahar Tak.`
He added he wished to give a part of the royalty earned from the book for the poor prisoners in Tihar as part of service to the nation.
He also told the court that earlier he had written to the Director General of Prisons for his permission to give part of the royalty on his autobiography for the welfare of Tihar jail inmates, but received no response.
On Rana`s plea, the court issued notice to the jail superintendent, seeking his reply to the plea by October 16.
"Issue notice of this application to concerned jail superintendent for furnishing his report," the court said.
Rana said his autobiography published in Hindi by a top publisher details his life with emphasis on how he escaped from jail in 2004 and travelled to Afghanistan and brought back the remains of Prithviraj Chauhan, the last ruler of Ajmer.
Rana had allegedly shot dead Phoolan Devi outside her official residence at 44, Ashoka Road in New Delhi on July 25, 2001. He had escaped from Tihar Jail in 2004, but was arrested later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video
- Boris Johnson claims India owes UK multi-million pounds
- Trump's NATO comments show 'lack of preparedness': Obama
- Govt should resist urge of control everything: Arun Jaitley
- Sushma Swaraj can't give verdict on 'future of Kashmir': Pakistan