PIL filed in SC for court-monitored CBI probe in Asaram`s case
New Delhi: A PIL was on Thursday filed in the Supreme Court seeking a court-monitored CBI probe into an alleged sexual assault case involving self-styled godman Asaram Bapu.
The petition referred to the recent statement by Asaram`s son Narayan Sai that the minor girl was "mentally unstable" and said there was "low implementation" of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000.
"Direct a Supreme Court-monitored CBI probe into the incident involving the rape of minor by Asaram Bapu in the Jodhpur Ashram premises ...," Chennai-based D I Nathan said in his PIL filed through advocate N Rajaraman.
It also said the Home Ministry should be directed for immediate scientific test for ascertaining the biological age of victims, who are children, and fast tracking of the probe so that evidence was not obliterated.
It also sought a direction to the Home Ministry to ask "all district SP level officers across the country for objective investigation by a police team of female investigators sensitized to deal with the offences involving sexual assault of child or juvenile."
The petitioner said the object of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 was "repeatedly violated and disregarded by the police, state authorities and the accused who are violating the privacy and the right to life of minor victims."
It said sensitivity of the police investigating crimes against the juvenile victims and the media, which is reporting such crimes against the victims, were violating the purpose of the Act.
72-year-old Asaram, who is accused of sexually assaulting a minor, will face arrest if he fails to appear before the Jodhpur Police tomorrow.
Asaram had sought extension in the date of appearance before the investigation officer of the case at Jodhpur citing he had various pre-decided religious fixtures lined up till September 19.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know