PIL filed in SC for court-monitored CBI probe in Asaram`s case
New Delhi: A PIL was on Thursday filed in the Supreme Court seeking a court-monitored CBI probe into an alleged sexual assault case involving self-styled godman Asaram Bapu.
The petition referred to the recent statement by Asaram`s son Narayan Sai that the minor girl was "mentally unstable" and said there was "low implementation" of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000.
"Direct a Supreme Court-monitored CBI probe into the incident involving the rape of minor by Asaram Bapu in the Jodhpur Ashram premises ...," Chennai-based D I Nathan said in his PIL filed through advocate N Rajaraman.
It also said the Home Ministry should be directed for immediate scientific test for ascertaining the biological age of victims, who are children, and fast tracking of the probe so that evidence was not obliterated.
It also sought a direction to the Home Ministry to ask "all district SP level officers across the country for objective investigation by a police team of female investigators sensitized to deal with the offences involving sexual assault of child or juvenile."
The petitioner said the object of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2000 was "repeatedly violated and disregarded by the police, state authorities and the accused who are violating the privacy and the right to life of minor victims."
It said sensitivity of the police investigating crimes against the juvenile victims and the media, which is reporting such crimes against the victims, were violating the purpose of the Act.
72-year-old Asaram, who is accused of sexually assaulting a minor, will face arrest if he fails to appear before the Jodhpur Police tomorrow.
Asaram had sought extension in the date of appearance before the investigation officer of the case at Jodhpur citing he had various pre-decided religious fixtures lined up till September 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert