PIL in Delhi HC seeking special courts for kids
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the city government to respond to a PIL seeking setting up of special courts for trying cases of sexual offences against minor victims.
A bench comprising Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain issued the notice to the department of Law, Justice and Legislative Affairs of Delhi government and posted the matter for hearing on May 1.
The PIL, filed by advocate Gaurav Kumar Bansal, also sought a direction for appointment of special public prosecutors for these courts.
The petition said the provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act "mandates establishment of a court of session to be special court in every district" and section 32 of the Act and appointment of special public prosecutors to conduct trial in those matters.
Despite the fact that the Act came into being last November, the government so far has neither constituted the special courts nor appointed special public prosecutors, it said.
The PIL also sought a direction to the government to create "sufficient awareness about the Act" among the common public, government officials and the police.
"As per the United Nations Secretary General`s study on violence against children, an estimated 150 millions girls and 73 millions boys under the age of 18 have experienced forced sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual violence involving physical contact," it said.
The plea also cited the response received under the Right to Information Act from the government which said, "As per the available record the Delhi government has issued no notification in respect of section 28 of the Act, 2012."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj