PIL in Delhi HC seeking special courts for kids
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the city government to respond to a PIL seeking setting up of special courts for trying cases of sexual offences against minor victims.
A bench comprising Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain issued the notice to the department of Law, Justice and Legislative Affairs of Delhi government and posted the matter for hearing on May 1.
The PIL, filed by advocate Gaurav Kumar Bansal, also sought a direction for appointment of special public prosecutors for these courts.
The petition said the provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act "mandates establishment of a court of session to be special court in every district" and section 32 of the Act and appointment of special public prosecutors to conduct trial in those matters.
Despite the fact that the Act came into being last November, the government so far has neither constituted the special courts nor appointed special public prosecutors, it said.
The PIL also sought a direction to the government to create "sufficient awareness about the Act" among the common public, government officials and the police.
"As per the United Nations Secretary General`s study on violence against children, an estimated 150 millions girls and 73 millions boys under the age of 18 have experienced forced sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual violence involving physical contact," it said.
The plea also cited the response received under the Right to Information Act from the government which said, "As per the available record the Delhi government has issued no notification in respect of section 28 of the Act, 2012."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown