PIL in Delhi HC seeking special courts for kids
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the city government to respond to a PIL seeking setting up of special courts for trying cases of sexual offences against minor victims.
A bench comprising Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice V K Jain issued the notice to the department of Law, Justice and Legislative Affairs of Delhi government and posted the matter for hearing on May 1.
The PIL, filed by advocate Gaurav Kumar Bansal, also sought a direction for appointment of special public prosecutors for these courts.
The petition said the provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act "mandates establishment of a court of session to be special court in every district" and section 32 of the Act and appointment of special public prosecutors to conduct trial in those matters.
Despite the fact that the Act came into being last November, the government so far has neither constituted the special courts nor appointed special public prosecutors, it said.
The PIL also sought a direction to the government to create "sufficient awareness about the Act" among the common public, government officials and the police.
"As per the United Nations Secretary General`s study on violence against children, an estimated 150 millions girls and 73 millions boys under the age of 18 have experienced forced sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual violence involving physical contact," it said.
The plea also cited the response received under the Right to Information Act from the government which said, "As per the available record the Delhi government has issued no notification in respect of section 28 of the Act, 2012."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender