Plaque containing Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s name again put outside NMC
New Delhi: A plaque which mentions that former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had laid the foundation stone of National Media Centre (NMC) was on Tuesday put up again outside the building.
The plaque was put up after Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar visited the NMC today, ministry officials said.
Officials said the plaque had been put outside the building earlier but was removed when the building was under construction "to ensure that it is not damaged."
Officials said Javadekar carried out an inspection of the facility today where he noticed that the plaque which bore the names of former Prime Minister Vajpayee and other senior collegues of the previous NDA cabinet.
Javadekar then instructed officials to again place the plaque prominently. His instructions were followed promptly and by evening the plaque had been restored at the NMC entrance.
The plaque reads that the foundation stone was laid by Vajpayee on December 5, 2001 and the then Home minister LK Advani had presided over the ceremony. The then I&B Minister Sushma Swaraj, Urban Development Minister Ananth Kumar and MoS in I&B Ministry Ramesh Bais had performed `bhumi pujan`.
Principal DG (PIB) Neelam Kapoor said the foundation stone plaque was removed when the building was under construction to ensure its safety. It was safely kept and since the building has been completed, it was put up again.
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi had inaugurated the National Media Centre in August last year.
Asked about the development, union minister Nirmala Sitharaman said "the plaque which carried A B Vajpayee`s name which your are talking about where was it in the first place?...Was that removed?... I don`t know the thing which you are saying, it is raising more questions..."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi