Plea for exempting Delhi Police chief`s presence in Assembly
New Delhi: The Delhi Police Commissioner`s office has requested the Delhi Government to exempt his presence in the Delhi Assembly during a discussion on Thursday on the deteriorating law and order situation in the city.
In a letter to Delhi Home Secretary Arvind Ray, JCP Dependra Pathak said Neeraj Kumar will not able to present in the Assembly as he will have to attend a Parliamentary Standing Committee meeting.
"It is, therefore, requested that Commissioner of Police may be exempted from his personal presence in the officers gallery of the Assembly hall during the discussion on the matter of short duration discussion under Rule 55 on deteriorating law and order situation in Delhi," the letter said.
On many occasions in the past, police commissioners were present in officers` gallery of the Assembly during discussion on law and order.
The Delhi government on March 14 had requested Delhi Police to provide details on law and order situation in view of the discussion. Kumar was called to the Assembly on last Tuesday to a discussion on security of the MLAs.
He was called to the Assembly after a drunken man "fired" with a toy pistol outside Congress MLA Anil Bhardwaj`s office in Trinagar area. The incident had created a furore in the Delhi Assembly.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had taken a pot shot at the Delhi Police in the presence of Kumar in the Assembly and expressed concern over "lack" of security for MLAs.
Official sources said the government is going to ask Kumar to remain present during the discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown