Plea for exempting Delhi Police chief`s presence in Assembly
New Delhi: The Delhi Police Commissioner`s office has requested the Delhi Government to exempt his presence in the Delhi Assembly during a discussion on Thursday on the deteriorating law and order situation in the city.
In a letter to Delhi Home Secretary Arvind Ray, JCP Dependra Pathak said Neeraj Kumar will not able to present in the Assembly as he will have to attend a Parliamentary Standing Committee meeting.
"It is, therefore, requested that Commissioner of Police may be exempted from his personal presence in the officers gallery of the Assembly hall during the discussion on the matter of short duration discussion under Rule 55 on deteriorating law and order situation in Delhi," the letter said.
On many occasions in the past, police commissioners were present in officers` gallery of the Assembly during discussion on law and order.
The Delhi government on March 14 had requested Delhi Police to provide details on law and order situation in view of the discussion. Kumar was called to the Assembly on last Tuesday to a discussion on security of the MLAs.
He was called to the Assembly after a drunken man "fired" with a toy pistol outside Congress MLA Anil Bhardwaj`s office in Trinagar area. The incident had created a furore in the Delhi Assembly.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had taken a pot shot at the Delhi Police in the presence of Kumar in the Assembly and expressed concern over "lack" of security for MLAs.
Official sources said the government is going to ask Kumar to remain present during the discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning