Plight of e-rickshaw owners in Delhi raised in RS
New Delhi: Plight of two lakh e-rickshaw owners in the national capital was raised in Rajya Sabha on Tuesday with a BJP member saying they were faced with livelihood crisis and the government should provide them temporary licenses till a final solution was reached.
Raising the issue, Vijay Goyal (BJP) said the fate of about 10 lakh e-rickshaw owners hanged in balance as they were faced with the problem of livelihood after a ban on their plying.
Drawing the attention of the government in this direction, he said till a final decision on the issue "temporary licenses and registration" be provided to them as lakhs of families are linked to it.
"Government should come out with a temporary solution till the rules and regulations are finalised," he demanded.
Deputy Chairman P J Kurien remarked, "Battery operated rickshas should be encouraged because they are pollution free" and asked the government to look into it if something could be done.
The High Court on July 31 had ordered a ban on plying of e-rickshaws in the national capital, saying they are illegally running on Delhi roads and prima facie posed a hazard to other traffic as well citizens.
The ban on e-rickshaws in the city is still continuing as the Delhi High Court on August 5 made it clear that it cannot allow them to ply unless there are guidelines to regulate them and asked the Centre to come up with draft regulations on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach