PM pays rich tributes to Delhi gang-rape victim
New Delhi: Paying rich tributes to the Delhi
gang-rape victim, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said the loss of her life would not go in vain even as her mother demanded death penalty for the rapists, particularly the juvenile.
"Her courage and her zest for life will always serve as an inspiration to us. We should all pay tribute to her by resolving that we will not let the loss of her life go in vain and will work together to enhance the safety and security of women in our country," he said.
Earlier, Singh honoured her by giving away the `Daughter of India` award, which was received by the victim`s parents at the NDTV Indians of the Year award function here.
Singh lauded the work of the Justice J S Verma Committee which recommended changes in criminal law to be able to deal more effectively with heinous crimes against women.
"As I have said on an earlier occasion as well, there is a great deal that needs to be done not only for making women safer and more secure in our country, but also for empowering them socially and economically. Our Government will continue to make all possible efforts in this direction," he said.
At the function, the victim`s mother demanded death sentence for the five rapists, particularly the juvenile, who had asked her to board the bus.
"I would request you to put in place such systems so that such heinous crimes do not recur. All the five accused should get death penalty, particularly the juvenile. He should be hanged," she said.
On December 16 last year, the young woman, along with her friend, had boarded a bus in south Delhi only to be raped by six men on the vehicle. They had also beaten her friend and thrown them both outside the moving bus.
The young woman died in a Singapore hospital later.
Of six men accused in the case, one committed suicide in jail, another is a minor and is being tried by a juvenile court. Four other accused are being tried by a fast track court here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days