PM to launch Aadhaar based delivery system tomorrow
New Delhi: The much awaited Aadhaar enabled system for direct cash transfer to beneficiaries under social schemes such as MNREGA and pension will be launched tomorrow by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at Dudu, Rajasthan.
The payment mechanism is aimed at checking corruption and pilferage in the social sector schemes that seek to promote financial inclusion.
The launch of the scheme by the Prime Minister coincides with the second anniversary of Aadhaar project, which is being implemented by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
In the last two years, the UIDAI has generated over 20 crore Aadhaar numbers. The 21st Crore Aadhaar number will be handed over to the resident by Singh at a function at Dudu tomorrow.
The UPA government is making this a big event as its top brass including Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Chief Minister of Rajasthan Ashok Gehlot, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Minister of State for Communications Sachin Pilot and Planning Minister Ashwani Kumar, will attend the meet.
"This is very significant thing and it will help reducing wastage, fraud and corruption," UIDAI Chairman Nandan Nilekani told reporters here.
Use of Aadhaar based delivery mechanism will improve compliance management, reduce leakages and increase efficiency and accountability of the government`s social sector schemes, he said.
"The government is rolling out Aadhaar enabled service delivery initiative in 51 districts across the country. It will be used for making pension payments, MNREGA payments, PDS distribution, scholarship payments etc," a statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’