PM will take a decision on Pawar`s letter: Cong
New Delhi: Amid signs of unease over
Sharad Pawar`s move, Congress on Thursday said it was upto the
Prime Minister to take a decision on Agriculture Minister`s
letter to him alleging that the government`s policies were
hurting farmers who were being asked to subsidise industry.
"We do not know the details of the letter. The Prime
Minister will go through it and take an appropriate decision",
party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters when asked about
Pawar`s communication to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Pawar, who is supremo of the NCP-- a constituent of the
Congress-led UPA, has in the letter said he was upset about
curbs on milk, cotton and sugar exports.
In the letter, Pawar strongly criticised the Food
Ministry headed by KV Thomas and the Textile Ministry under
Anand Sharma`s charge for policies he called "ambivalent" and
against farmers. Both Thomas and Sharma belong to Congress.
A senior Congress leader, who declined to be identified,
said that the party does not consider Pawar`s letter as an
innocuous move and feels that the NCP chief was "playing some
game" by seeking to corner the government of which his party
is a part.
A political realignment could be on the minds of the NCP
chief, he said.
Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress and DMK are the two
other UPA constituents which have raised problems for the
government in the recent past on some issues.
After Pawar`s letter, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi
today used Twitter to attack the Centre on what he called its
Modi tweeted, "The UPA ignores our repeated pleas against
anti-farmer policies. Wonder if they`ll respond to their own
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP