PM`s address in gangrape issue `disappointing`: CPI
New Delhi: Terming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s address on the gang-rape issue as "disappointing", CPI Tuesday said he had not focused on concrete steps to prevent recurrence of atrocities against women.
"The address of the Prime Minister came too late and was disappointing. The stress is more on peace than on the concrete steps to prevent the recurrence of atrocities on women or on the actions for security of women. This will not restore confidence among the people," the party`s Central Secretariat said in a statement.
The party also expressed condolence over the death of police constable Subhash Tomar, calling it "unfortunate".
Condemning the violence during Sunday`s protests over the gangrape of the 23-year-old girl here, CPI said the police "could have shown more restraint."
It criticised Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, saying his statement was "irresponsible and provocative" and accused him of making mockery of the anger and indignation of the protesters on "a justified issue of security to women".
"We advise the Home Minister to control his anger, as it fuels the fire," CPI said.
It also said that the cases against former Army chief V K Singh and Ramdev were "signs of nervousness of the government".
"The attempt to stamp the spontaneous outburst of people to some individuals and hidden hand of political parties and attempt to find hooligans, cannot whitewash the general discontent of the people against the miserable failure of the government in maintaining law and order in the NCR.
"The recent events once again proved that the UPA government has lost its credibility and the confidence of the people," the party said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands