PM’s wife praises kin of police personnel
New Delhi: Gursharan Kaur, the wife of Prime Manmohan Singh, on Saturday lauded the efforts of families of police personnel, crediting them with the success of their kin who serve in the force.
"The support of the families is the reason officers are able to do well. I praise their efforts to give constant support despite the odd duty hours," she said while speaking on the launch of the Welfare Centre at Police Training Centre here.
The Welfare Centre at Malviya Nagar aims at providing family members of police personnel with training so that they can make home-made items for sale both within the community and outside.
"The aim is to make families of Delhi Police independent," said Mala Kumar, president of Police Families Welfare Society. The Welfare Centre, which has 16 stalls in the open for sale of hand-crafted products, is housed in a five-storey building that was inaugurated today.
Kaur, who was the chief guest at the event, praised the efforts to make women self-reliant.
"I am confident this welfare-cum-shopping centre will give employment to more women in the future. I also hope that the Welfare Society will increase its scope to include activities like literacy and become an even more integral part of Delhi Police by opening more such centres across the city," she said in her address.
The Welfare Centre, which had been closed for past seven years, was revived again in November 2012, with new centres set to open in the coming months.
"There is a tailoring workshop, spices workshop, knitting room, computer training space and a conference room. Those women who need training will also be extended all help," said ASI Seema, the in-charge of the Welfare Centre.
The products, besides being available at the stalls built inside the Police Training Centre, will also be marketed at exhibitions and trade fairs in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'