PM’s wife praises kin of police personnel
New Delhi: Gursharan Kaur, the wife of Prime Manmohan Singh, on Saturday lauded the efforts of families of police personnel, crediting them with the success of their kin who serve in the force.
"The support of the families is the reason officers are able to do well. I praise their efforts to give constant support despite the odd duty hours," she said while speaking on the launch of the Welfare Centre at Police Training Centre here.
The Welfare Centre at Malviya Nagar aims at providing family members of police personnel with training so that they can make home-made items for sale both within the community and outside.
"The aim is to make families of Delhi Police independent," said Mala Kumar, president of Police Families Welfare Society. The Welfare Centre, which has 16 stalls in the open for sale of hand-crafted products, is housed in a five-storey building that was inaugurated today.
Kaur, who was the chief guest at the event, praised the efforts to make women self-reliant.
"I am confident this welfare-cum-shopping centre will give employment to more women in the future. I also hope that the Welfare Society will increase its scope to include activities like literacy and become an even more integral part of Delhi Police by opening more such centres across the city," she said in her address.
The Welfare Centre, which had been closed for past seven years, was revived again in November 2012, with new centres set to open in the coming months.
"There is a tailoring workshop, spices workshop, knitting room, computer training space and a conference room. Those women who need training will also be extended all help," said ASI Seema, the in-charge of the Welfare Centre.
The products, besides being available at the stalls built inside the Police Training Centre, will also be marketed at exhibitions and trade fairs in the future.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed