‘Police a tool to keep ruling party in power’
New Delhi: The police is an instrument to
keep the ruling political party in power and every party has
done so, former Union Home Secretary GK Pillai said on Wednesday.
"Any ruling party, irrespective of whether it is
CPI-M, or DMK or AIADMK or Congress... anybody, the police is
an instrument to keep the political party in power. Every
party has used this," he said at a round table conference on
The retired IAS official also said that IPS officers
fear punishment of being transferred.
"Because police do a lot of activities which are
outside the purview of law. You have property disputes, you
have any number of issues, encroachment all these things are
informally solved by the police in the country. Hundreds and
thousands of cases are solved (by police). You don`t go to the
courts but they are solved by the police informally," he said.
"Now what happens is in some cases the police did not
do justice because the system has lacked justice. In some of
the states, vested interests approach the police and therefore
the police then become an arm of the vested interest to work
the other way around...they are going to create more
injustice...," Pillai said at the discussion on "Spatial
issues and Maoist insurgency in India" organised by the
Observer Research Foundation.
"You don`t have the rule of law because no IPS officer
is willing to, well I say, take the punishment of being
transferred, he said.
"Police training is a punishment posting. In the IPS,
any of IPS officers sent as principal or so of police training
college...is a punishment posting," he said.
Ex-IPS officer ML Kumawat, who had served as Special
Secretary (Internal Security) in the Union Home Ministry, said
the Maoists are spreading their tentacles in urban areas and
state capitals as part of their "urban perspective plan".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried