Police against BSP MP`s bail, court to give order tomorrow
New Delhi: The Delhi police today opposed in a court here the bail plea of BSP MP Dhananjay Singh, arrested along with his wife Jagriti Singh in connection with the murder of their maid, saying he had incited his spouse to carry out the "illegal activities" of beating the servants.
The police submitted that although Dhananjay had filed a petition seeking divorce from his wife, he was in constant touch with her and he did not inform it in advance about the alleged torture being meted out to the maid servants by Jagriti.
"They (Dhananjay and Jagriti) were directly in constant touch through calls and SMSes. Why they have filed a divorce petition? It is very questionable.
"Dhananjay incited his wife to carry out the illegal activities of beating the maids," Additional Public Prosecutor Mukul Kumar told Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma.
The court concluded the hearing of arguments on the bail plea and reserved its order for tomorrow.
Dhananjay had moved the plea after he failed to get the relief from a magisterial court which had dismissed his bail petition, saying that allegations against him were "very serious" and he does not deserve any leniency due his previous conduct.
Metropolitan Magistrate Gomati Manocha had dismissed his bail plea on November 20, observing that accused in the case were "very powerful persons" while the victims were poor and vulnerable.
It had also directed the police to provide protection to principal witnesses till the time their statements were recorded in the trial.
Dhananjay and Jagriti were arrested on November 5 in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal.
Dhananjay has moved the sessions court seeking bail, saying that the magistrate had dismissed his petition without considering the facts and circumstances of the case in an arbitrary manner and without application of judicial mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan