Police chief meets Dikshit to discuss women`s safety issue
New Delhi: Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, who had drawn Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s ire in the aftermath of the December 16 gangrape incident, today apprised her about the steps being taken by the force to improve safety of women in the city.
Sources said Kumar met Dikshit and explained her the various measures taken by Delhi Police to instill confidence among women towards the force.
They said Dikshit underlined the need for more efforts by police to check crime against women and improve the overall law and order situation in the city. She also told him the need to improve training of police.
Dikshit had been critical of functioning of Delhi Police and demanded the resignation of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of the gang-rape incident.
Last week Dikshit had targeted police once again after a man brutally assaulted a young girl in Lajpat Nagar, saying women do not feel safe here in the national capital.
Delhi government had last month sent a letter to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde accusing the police of "completely deviating" from its core duties and "trivialising" the issue of safety of women. The Delhi Police functions under Home Ministry and reports to Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna.
In the meeting, Dikshit also stressed on the need to check the vehicles coming from neighbouring cities to Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America