Police crackdown on youths doing motorcycle stunts
New Delhi: In an effort to curb youths from performing risky motorcycle stunts around India Gate, Delhi Police carried out a late night checking drive in New Delhi area, slapping fines on 84 motorcycle riders and impounding eight bikes.
"40 check points were set up in the New Delhi district during which 584 motorcycles were checked, out of which 84 were challaned and eight were impounded," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) SBS Tyagi.
The drive was carried out last night during which check points were set up at India Gate, Mandir Marg, Connaught Place, and others, he said.
"The drive was aimed at stopping youngsters from performing dangerous motorcycle stunts as they are life threatening. Our motive is to ensure safe road environment for the citizens," the official said.
"Parents should not give vehicles to the under-aged, even grown-ups should drive their vehicles responsibly," said Tyagi.
There have been a number of incidents in the past in and around India Gate where stunt junkies have either lost their lives or injured others.
Even a police constable was seriously injured in a similar incident recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?