Police had responded promptly to Pak diplomat: Govt
New Delhi: Government on Tuesday said police had responded promptly and extended due courtesies to a Pakistani diplomat, who along with his driver was allegedly roughed up after their vehicle hit a motorcycle in south Delhi.
Zirgham Raza, Pakistan First Secretary (Trade) suffered "minor bruises" in a brawl when his car and a motorcycle were involved in a "freak accident" in Ber Serai at around 7.25 PM yesterday when he was returning to his Vasant Kunj home.
"Police responded promptly to calls for assistance and escorted the diplomats to safety from the crowd of onlookers who had gathered at the site of incident. The police extended the Pakistan High Commission officials due courtesies and escorted them to the AIIMS trauma centre and offered medical assistance and examination," official spokesperson in the MEA said.
The Pakistan High Commission has lodged a strong protest with the Ministry of External Affairs over the issue, its spokesman Manzoor Ali Memon had said yesterday.
The MEA spokesperson said the car in which the diplomat was travelling had hit a motorcycle due to which both the motorcyclist and the woman passenger riding pillion sustained injuries in the "minor accident".
The driver of the car and the motorcyclist had an altercation and reportedly a scuffle ensued wherein the Pakistan High Commission driver and the diplomat suffered minor injuries, the official said.
He said police have registered a case under relevant sections of the penal code against the motorcyclist and the woman passenger, who have been arrested. Police today arrested Roshni and her nephew Rohit in connection with the brawl.
A case under sections 279 (rash and negligent driving), 323 (causing hurt), 336 (endangering life or personal safety of others), 341 (wrongfully restraining another person), 143 (being member of unlawful assembly) and 149 (act done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of Indian Penal code were registered against them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island