Police in dark over origin of Cobalt-60, await Jain`s recovery
New Delhi: Police is yet to trace the origin
of Cobalt-60, the radioactive material that caused serious
injuries to six persons and are awaiting the recovery of the
owner of the scrap shop from where it was found three days ago
to get more clarity.
"There is nothing concrete. We are waiting for Deepak
Jain to regain his health. We are also waiting for reports
from Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) and other
agencies," Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Sharad
Aggarwal told a news agency.
The official said nobody knew from where Jain had bought
it. "Normally, scrap dealers never makes public their source
of scrap as it will affect their business. So, nobody knows
from where he bought it," he said.
Police had yesterday spoke to scrap dealers in the
industrial area to ascertain the source of the material.
AERB experts, along with Department of Atomic Energy
scientists, had yesterday safely removed eight bunches of
metal scraps containing sources of Cobalt-60 radioactive
isotope from the West Delhi shop and transported the material
to the Narora Atomic Power Station in Uttar Pradesh.
AERB has said its probe into the source of Cobalt-60
pieces may help the Delhi Police trace the route through which
it landed in the shop.
"Investigations are now in progress to ascertain the
source of the radioactive cobalt-60, which was recovered from
the scrap in a shop in Mayapuri," S A Hussain, Head of
Radiological Safety division of AERB, said.
Jain suffered severe burns and is battling for life at
the Apollo Hospital while five others -- Gaurav, Rajendra
Prasad, Ramjee Yadav, Ram Kalap and Himanshu Jain -- have been
admitted to AIIMS.
All of them have been kept in an isolation ward.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?