Police in dark over origin of Cobalt-60, await Jain`s recovery
New Delhi: Police is yet to trace the origin
of Cobalt-60, the radioactive material that caused serious
injuries to six persons and are awaiting the recovery of the
owner of the scrap shop from where it was found three days ago
to get more clarity.
"There is nothing concrete. We are waiting for Deepak
Jain to regain his health. We are also waiting for reports
from Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) and other
agencies," Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Sharad
Aggarwal told a news agency.
The official said nobody knew from where Jain had bought
it. "Normally, scrap dealers never makes public their source
of scrap as it will affect their business. So, nobody knows
from where he bought it," he said.
Police had yesterday spoke to scrap dealers in the
industrial area to ascertain the source of the material.
AERB experts, along with Department of Atomic Energy
scientists, had yesterday safely removed eight bunches of
metal scraps containing sources of Cobalt-60 radioactive
isotope from the West Delhi shop and transported the material
to the Narora Atomic Power Station in Uttar Pradesh.
AERB has said its probe into the source of Cobalt-60
pieces may help the Delhi Police trace the route through which
it landed in the shop.
"Investigations are now in progress to ascertain the
source of the radioactive cobalt-60, which was recovered from
the scrap in a shop in Mayapuri," S A Hussain, Head of
Radiological Safety division of AERB, said.
Jain suffered severe burns and is battling for life at
the Apollo Hospital while five others -- Gaurav, Rajendra
Prasad, Ramjee Yadav, Ram Kalap and Himanshu Jain -- have been
admitted to AIIMS.
All of them have been kept in an isolation ward.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!