Police, mining mafia exchange fire in Noida
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Police on Thursday raided an area in Noida on suspicion that illegal mining was taking place, an officer said.
Acting on a tip-off, two police teams raided the Yamuna Pushta area in Sector 39.
The mining mafia opened fire on police, prompting them to retaliate, a police officer said. However, the assailants managed to escape.
Nobody was injured in the gun battle.
A truck and a dumper were seized from the scene and a case of attempted murder was registered against 18 people, the officer told a news agency.
Noida has emerged as a hotbed of illegal mining in the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred