Police oppose Kanda`s bail, wants to quiz him about missing computers
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday opposed the bail plea of absconding former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, key accused in former airhostess Geetika Sharma suicide case, in the High Court saying it needed to quiz him to find the missing computers and other crucial evidence.
An absconding accused does not deserve anticipatory bail as "there is an answer to be given to the society, the dead soul and the victim`s family," Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra told Justice PK Bhasin of Delhi High Court.
Justice Bhasin, who reserved the verdict on the plea of Kanda after hearing the day-long arguments, made certain queries from the ASG on Kanda`s plea that no case of abetment of suicide was made out against him as he neither "incited" nor "urged" or "provoked" the victim to end her life.
"As of now, I cannot share much about the outcome of the investigation but I can say that there was sufficient prima facie evidence to indicate that the accused abetted the offence," the ASG said and referred to various statements, including the victim`s suicide note, in the court.
"There is no computer (of victim, co-accused Aruna Chaddha and Kanda) in the office. He does not join the probe. How can the investigation progress? His custodial interrogation is needed to find out the conspiracy aspect between the accused (Kanda) and his employee Chaddha against Sharma.
"We have call details about the conversation among the accused, co-accused and the victim, which needs to be investigated and corroborated upon," the ASG said.
Senior advocate KTS Tulsi, appearing for Kanda, started the argument with the claim that no case of abetment of suicide was made out against him.
"I was her employer and you cannot hang me with the next pole just because of the fact that I knew her," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says