Police seize 2,000 kg of banned gutkha, two arrested
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Saturday claimed to have recovered 2,000 kg of gutka, which is banned in the capital, and arrested two persons, including a senior citizen.
The arrested have been identified as Ashok Kumar Jain (63) and Mohd Akram (34), Ravindra Yadav, Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime), said.
The arrests came following an input that owner of a cigarette store would come with samples of banned gutka. Akram was the first to be arrested.
Akram told police that he is the owner of Capital Cigarette Store and working as a retailer.
"He told us that that a huge quantity of banned gutka was lying at his godown located in Gali Hinga Bij, Tilak Bazar. He also disclosed the name of supplier as Jain.
"Jain told police that since gukta is banned in Delhi, he sells or distributes it under the garb of cigarette or Pan Masala," Yadav said.
Gutka has been banned in Delhi since September 11, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir