Police seize 2,000 kg of banned gutkha, two arrested
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Saturday claimed to have recovered 2,000 kg of gutka, which is banned in the capital, and arrested two persons, including a senior citizen.
The arrested have been identified as Ashok Kumar Jain (63) and Mohd Akram (34), Ravindra Yadav, Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime), said.
The arrests came following an input that owner of a cigarette store would come with samples of banned gutka. Akram was the first to be arrested.
Akram told police that he is the owner of Capital Cigarette Store and working as a retailer.
"He told us that that a huge quantity of banned gutka was lying at his godown located in Gali Hinga Bij, Tilak Bazar. He also disclosed the name of supplier as Jain.
"Jain told police that since gukta is banned in Delhi, he sells or distributes it under the garb of cigarette or Pan Masala," Yadav said.
Gutka has been banned in Delhi since September 11, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan