Ponty Chadha case: Police officer knew of conspiracy, says lawyer
New Delhi: A senior Delhi Police officer was aware of the conspiracy being hatched to trespass into a farmhouse in south Delhi where a shootout took place Nov 17, 2012, leading to the death of liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep, a lawyer told the court Saturday.
Defence lawyer KK Manan told Additional Sessions Judge Vimal Kumar Yadav that a senior police official was in touch with Hardeep.
However, he did not disclose the name of the officer but claimed that a day before the shootout, on Nov 16, 2012, the police officer had a meeting with Hardeep and a politician who was then a minister.
Concluding the argument on framing of charges, Manan added that there may be a possibility of a conspiracy hatched by Hardeep to trespass into the farmhouse with the connivance of the police and the minister.
Police had alleged that a conspiracy to kill Hardeep was hatched by the then Uttarakhand minorities commission chairman SS Namdhari and other accused, arrested in connection with the killing of the Chadha brothers.
The court after hearing the argument, posted to Dec 21 its order on framing of charges against Namdhari and the other 21 accused.
The Crime Branch had arrested Namdhari, his PSO Sachin Tyagi and others for their alleged role in the shootout.
However, the trial against Ponty and Hardeep has been abated as they both died in the shootout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof