Ponty Chadha murder: Namdhari`s role under scanner
New Delhi: Sacked Uttarakhand Minorities Commission chief Sukhdev Singh Namdhari`s role is under the scanner over the gun battle at a farmhouse here leading to the death of liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep, police said Thursday.
As Namdhari`s men reportedly helped the liquor baron`s aides in taking control of the Chhattarpur farmhouse No.42 in south Delhi before the shootout, his role of trespassing was under investigation, an official said.
Ponty and Hardeep, the brothers who had dispute over properties, were killed Nov 17 afternoon.
Namdhari was present at the spot with his men along with Ponty`s aides when the incident took place.
"Some people have given us statements that Namdhari`s men were also part of the group that trespassed into the Chhattarpur farmhouse. We are verifying that," said Joint Commissioner of Police Vivek Gogia.
Namdhari is missing after being questioned at Mehrauli police station, where he went the day after the shootout to lodge a complaint against Hardeep. Police suspect that he might be withholding facts about the drama.
Gogia did not give a direct reply when asked about reports that Namdhari was absconding.
"We would like to talk to him. He is not with us. Whenever there is a need, we will talk to him," Gogia said.
Gogia also did not clarify about Namdhari`s last communication with the police. He only said that police were in touch with him.
He said that Namdhari`s role behind the shootout could not be ruled out.
Namdhari`s role is under suspicion but police don`t have enough evidence to book him for trespass as of now, he said.
"Namdhari had gone to meet Ponty and was present at the time of the incident. But it is a matter of investigation whether he was involved in trespassing. We have to corroborate this. We don`t have evidence against him so far," Gogia said.
The official also refused to answer whether the statements of Narender, Ponty`s manager who was injured in the shootout, matched with the versions given by Namdhari and others.
Mystery still remains over the number of bullets shot and guns used in the firing at the Chhattarpur farmhouse as police were waiting for the ballistic report to come before arriving at a conclusion.
Gogia said he would not reveal how many bullets were fired in the incident.
Police are also waiting for the ballistic report to confirm whether the bullets recovered from Ponty`s body were fired from Hardeep`s gun that was recovered from the spot or another gun was used to shoot him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?