Ponty shootout: PO proceedings against 2 absconding accused
New Delhi: Two men wanted for their alleged roles in the killing of liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep Singh in a shootout here, could be declared proclaimed offenders by a Delhi court if they fail to appear before it.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Raj Kumar Tripathi ordered initiation of proceedings under section 82 of the Code of Criminal Proceedings (CrPC) to declare them proclaimed offenders.
The two, against whom the proceedings were ordered, are Premveer and Inderpal, who are private security guards of Ponty`s brother Rajender Chadha and are natives of Uttar Pradesh.
Under section 82 of the CrPC, if the court has a reason to believe that the accused is absconding or concealing himself, it orders the prosecution to publish a notice about the accused or publicly announce or affix information about them near their house or public places for making them appear in the court.
If the accused still fails to turn up, they are declared proclaimed offenders.
The judge said since the NBWs issued against them for today could not be executed at their given addresses, he was satisfied that a case has been made out to initiate the process of declaring them proclaimed offenders.
"Investigating officer with the case file has submitted that NBWs could not be executed against the accused persons as they are hiding themselves and evading the proceedings.
"Accordingly, process under section 82 CrPC be issued against accused (Premveer and Inderpal) persons. Proclamation be also published in two leading newspapers...,"the judge said.
Meanwhile, the court today extended till May 9 the judicial custody of seven accused named in a charge sheet for their alleged roles in the killing of Ponty and Hardeep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan