Ponty shootout: PO proceedings against 2 absconding accused
New Delhi: Two men wanted for their alleged roles in the killing of liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep Singh in a shootout here, could be declared proclaimed offenders by a Delhi court if they fail to appear before it.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Raj Kumar Tripathi ordered initiation of proceedings under section 82 of the Code of Criminal Proceedings (CrPC) to declare them proclaimed offenders.
The two, against whom the proceedings were ordered, are Premveer and Inderpal, who are private security guards of Ponty`s brother Rajender Chadha and are natives of Uttar Pradesh.
Under section 82 of the CrPC, if the court has a reason to believe that the accused is absconding or concealing himself, it orders the prosecution to publish a notice about the accused or publicly announce or affix information about them near their house or public places for making them appear in the court.
If the accused still fails to turn up, they are declared proclaimed offenders.
The judge said since the NBWs issued against them for today could not be executed at their given addresses, he was satisfied that a case has been made out to initiate the process of declaring them proclaimed offenders.
"Investigating officer with the case file has submitted that NBWs could not be executed against the accused persons as they are hiding themselves and evading the proceedings.
"Accordingly, process under section 82 CrPC be issued against accused (Premveer and Inderpal) persons. Proclamation be also published in two leading newspapers...,"the judge said.
Meanwhile, the court today extended till May 9 the judicial custody of seven accused named in a charge sheet for their alleged roles in the killing of Ponty and Hardeep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months