Populist measures galore as Dikshit govt reaches out to masses
New Delhi: Rs 600 in bank every month for the senior most female member of two lakh households, loan upto Rs five lakh to Dalits and minorities for setting up ventures - Delhi government on Monday doled out as many populist measures to win over sections which moved away from Congress.
Giving a major push to social sector spending, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit earmarked a whopping Rs 9,796 crore, 65 percent of the total plan outlay of Rs 15,000 crore in the budget for 2012-13.
"Government hopes to touch the lives of citizens in several positive ways. We will deepen and widen social safety network to cover the vulnerable sections of society," she said in her budget speech.
Announcing the launch of the `Dilli Annashree Scheme`, a food security programme, she said government will provide food subsidy of Rs 600 per month in the form of cash transfer to two lakh vulnerable households not covered by either BPL cards or food supply under other schemes.
"The food subsidy of Rs 600 per month would be transferred directly in the bank account of the senior most female member of the household. I propose Rs 150 crore in the current financial year for this scheme," she said.
The government also aims to make Delhi the "first kerosene free city" in the country by providing a one time cash subsidy of Rs 2,000 each to about 1.75 lakh households which rely on kerosene for cooking.
"This money will given to these households for obtaining an LPG connection and purchase of a gas stove. Rs 40 crore has been earmarked for this," Dikshit said.
Providing employment opportunities for SC, minorities and OBCs, the Budget also proposes `Dilli Swarojgar Yojana for SC/ST/Minorities/OBCs` in which the government will provide loans upto Rs five lakh to an entrepreneur willing to set up a venture in Delhi.
"I propose a budget provision of Rs 50 crore for this new plan scheme in the current financial year," Dikshit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof