Populist measures galore as Dikshit govt reaches out to masses
New Delhi: Rs 600 in bank every month for the senior most female member of two lakh households, loan upto Rs five lakh to Dalits and minorities for setting up ventures - Delhi government on Monday doled out as many populist measures to win over sections which moved away from Congress.
Giving a major push to social sector spending, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit earmarked a whopping Rs 9,796 crore, 65 percent of the total plan outlay of Rs 15,000 crore in the budget for 2012-13.
"Government hopes to touch the lives of citizens in several positive ways. We will deepen and widen social safety network to cover the vulnerable sections of society," she said in her budget speech.
Announcing the launch of the `Dilli Annashree Scheme`, a food security programme, she said government will provide food subsidy of Rs 600 per month in the form of cash transfer to two lakh vulnerable households not covered by either BPL cards or food supply under other schemes.
"The food subsidy of Rs 600 per month would be transferred directly in the bank account of the senior most female member of the household. I propose Rs 150 crore in the current financial year for this scheme," she said.
The government also aims to make Delhi the "first kerosene free city" in the country by providing a one time cash subsidy of Rs 2,000 each to about 1.75 lakh households which rely on kerosene for cooking.
"This money will given to these households for obtaining an LPG connection and purchase of a gas stove. Rs 40 crore has been earmarked for this," Dikshit said.
Providing employment opportunities for SC, minorities and OBCs, the Budget also proposes `Dilli Swarojgar Yojana for SC/ST/Minorities/OBCs` in which the government will provide loans upto Rs five lakh to an entrepreneur willing to set up a venture in Delhi.
"I propose a budget provision of Rs 50 crore for this new plan scheme in the current financial year," Dikshit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi