Poverty declined to 14 per cent in Delhi
New Delhi: Poverty in Delhi has come down to 14 per cent of the population from around 50 per cent 31 years ago, the capital`s latest Economic Survey revealed on Tuesday.
There were 22.84 lakh people in BPL category in 1973-74 which was 49.61 per cent of population while it decreased to 22.93 lakh in 2004-05 which was 14.70 per cent of the population, the Survey presented in the Delhi Assembly said.
It also noted that the BPL category fell to single digit eight per cent of total population in 1999-2000.
The survey attributed the decrease in numbers to various poverty alleviation programmes initiated by the Centre and Delhi government.
"The reduction of poverty level in Delhi was higher than the national level even if the migration towards Delhi was highest during the last three decades.
"It may be observed that the Delhi`s BPL per centage is less than the national level between 1973-74 and 2004-05," it said.
In Delhi, a person earned less than Rs 410.38 in rural areas in 2004-05 and Rs 612.91 in urban areas were in Below Poverty Category.
The survey also said that in the every Rs 100 spent by households in urban Delhi, Rs 36 were spent on food items and the remaining on non-food items.
In the country, it was Rs 39 for food items.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015