Power cuts compound summer woes of Delhiites
New Delhi: Delhi reeled under severe outages in sweltering heat today as several major power transmission lines tripped today due to technical problems.
Power department officials said the 220 kilo volt line between Badarpur Thermal Power Station (BTPS) and Okhla tripped at 1.44 PM, triggering power cuts in various areas of South Delhi.
The situation became worse when the BTPS-Mehrauli line also tripped at 2.12 PM resulting in power cuts in Saket, Vasant Kunj, Mehrauli, Andrew Ganj, Green Park, Hauz Khas and several other areas.
Power supply to the tune 400 MW was affected due to tripping of the two lines which were repaired by around 5 PM, the officials said.
About tripping of the lines, Delhi Transco`s Public Relations Officer Rishi Raj said unauthorised constructions beneath the transmission network were to be blamed for the tripping.
The BTPS-Mehrauli line tripped due to unauthorised constructions along the line in Sangam Vihar area. "The inspection team found that the occupant of a house had stacked some material on the roof just beneath the transmission lines," Rishi Raj said.
He said another line in the area was shut down on the advice of fire department to prevent further damage and spread of fire.
About tripping of the BTPS-Okhla line, he said a short circuit resulted in the tripping.
"Heavy unauthorised construction along the network has resulted its tripping many a times," he said.
The Delhi Transco, which maintains the transmission network in the city, has written many times to the land owing agencies to remove the unauthorised constructions under and in the vicinity of high tension lines.
Some other areas in East West and North Delhi also faced power cuts due to load-shedding as the maximum demand remained high at 4,960 MW. The power demand in the city had broken all previous records when it touched 5,155 MW yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr