Power cuts: Delhi blames overdrawing by neighbours
New Delhi: As the national capital reels
under frequent power cuts, Delhi Government today blamed the
neighbouring states for the crisis and sought the Centre`s
intervention to check overdrawing of power by them from the
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has sent a letter to Union
Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde requesting him to direct the
neighbouring states not to overdraw power from the Northern
Grid as it leads to power cuts in Delhi.
"The load-shedding is taking place not because of power
shortage but because of under frequency relays in the Northern
Grid caused by overdrawing of power by the neighbouring
states," she said.
"I have requested the Union Power Minister to look into
the issue," she said.
Power Secretary Rajendra Kumar said that at a recent
meeting with neighbouring states, Delhi had requested them not
to overdraw power from the Northern Grid beyond their
allocated quota as overdrawing puts lot of pressure on the
grid and forces Delhi to under-draw power from it.
"We do not have any shortage of power. All the power cuts
are taking place because of the under frequency relays. The
neighbouring states will have to understand the problem,
otherwise the grid may collapse one day," he told reporters.
The problem of under frequency relay occurs when states
draw more power than their stipulated quota from the grid.
With power demand rising significantly due to sweltering
heat, Dikshit has requested the Centre to allocate more power
to the national capital from its quota.
Kumar said some states have asked their power generation
companies not to sell power outside their respective states
keeping in view the rising demand.
"It has also affected us as our discoms had entered into
agreements with power generating units of some other states
for supplying power to Delhi," Kumar, also managing director
of Delhi Transco, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre