Power failure at IGI ATC tower at noon affects operations
New Delhi: Flight operations at Indira Gandhi International airport here were partially affected on Friday after the air traffic control tower witnessed power failure.
Screens of the air traffic control officers (ATCOs) went blank at 12.20 PM when power supply was disrupted, sources said.
Though the standby power took over the system within seconds, but it took over 45 minutes to reboot entire consoles and restore the operations fully, they said.
The operations were partially affected as ATCOs held the departures, allowing them a in controlled way while there was no disruption in incoming flights, they said, adding since the traffic was low, it did not pose any major problem.
The ATCOs had to handle the flight manually initially.
The IGI airport is run by the Delhi International Airports Limited but the operations at the ATC tower are under the control of the Airports Authority of India, the country`s government-owned airport operator.
Asked about it, AAI spokesperson GS Bawa said at around 12.21 PM there was power failure but standby power took over, which worked for around 10 minutes till 12.31 PM. After this the power was restored and there was no disruption.
"The ATC was allowing departures in controlled manner while there was no disruption in flights arriving here," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!