Power shortage: Delhi seeks Centre`s help
New Delhi: Concerned over deteriorating power
situation, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday sought Union
Power Ministry`s intervention to ensure supply of full quota
of electricity to Delhi by various central generation plants.
Dikshit said apart from disruption in supply from various
generation stations, overdrawing of power by neighbouring
Pradesh and Haryana from the Northern Grid has compounded the
situation in Delhi.
"The Centre has already been apprised about the situation.
I will also write to Union Power Minister (Sushil Kumar
Shinde)," Dikshit said while replying to a question about
increasing loadshedding in areas across the city.
The city has been reeling under severe power cuts for
last six days following cut in supply of power in the range of
900 to 1,100 MW by various central sector generation companies
including country`s largest power producer NTPC and hydro
power utility NHPC.
Meanwhile, areas across the city continued to face power
cuts for upto four hours. Localities in East and North Delhi
have been worst affected.
Officials in power department said Union Power Ministry
has already been requested to help Delhi in overcoming the
According to the city government, the situation has
become more difficult due to overdrawing of huge amount of
power from Northern Grid by Uttar Pradesh, which is forcing
the city to resort to load-shedding to maintain frequency of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed