Power tariff hike: Kejriwal, associates burn electricity bills
New Delhi: Activist Arvind Kejriwal and his associates on Sunday staged protests across the capital by burning electricity bills and visiting the house of a person who died of heart attack after discom officials raided his house suspecting power theft.
A day after launching his `bijli-paani satyagraha`, Kejriwal started today`s protest by visiting the house of 65-year-old Kailash Chand, who died of a heart attack following the raid at his house in Najafgarh.
Kejriwal said the household had a electricity bill of very low amount due to which officials suspected Chand of committing power theft.
"Even though he had paid his bill, the officials entered his place through back door and cut off his power supply," Kejriwal alleged.
Officials, however, claimed the discom was undertaking routine mass-inspections in the area to detect power-theft and police was accompanying them.
The officials alleged that the electricity meter was found by-passed and a power theft of around 5 KW was detected at the premises of Chand. They claimed they have photographs and video recording of the way the meter was by-passed.
Chand`s wife Bimla alleged that four persons entered their house, had an argument and manhandled her husband. She claimed that those who came to the house said the family was stealing power and that was why the bill was only Rs 550.
Later, Kejriwal and others held protests 114 municipal wards spread in in 62 constituencies in Delhi and burnt electricity bills to protest against hike in power tariff.
Besides Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia, Gopal Rai and Kumar Vishwas joined people in several protest spots. Tomorrow, they will protest outside DERC office in south Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read