Power was restored within hours: Shinde
New Delhi: Amid sharp criticism over his elevation as Home Minister on a day the nation faced its worst electricity blackout, the outgoing Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Wednesday said people should appreciate that electricity supply was restored within hours.
"We got electricity in a matter of hours... People should appreciate how work is done at the grid," Shinde told reporters at his residence here.
Electricity grids tripped for the second time in two days yesterday, causing blackouts in 19 states and two Union Territories including the national capital Delhi.
Even before the power was fully restored, the government announced that Shinde has been appointed as Home Minister in place of P Chidambaram who returned to Finance Ministry after three-and-half years.
Shinde said he has submitted the report on the power crisis to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO).
"I have briefed PMO... In the USA light (electricity) does not come for four days, here we got it (restored) in a matter of hours," he said.
Power supplies were fully restored in 15 after after the wee-hour tripping of grid on Monday, and it took almost 20 hours to get back electricity in all the areas that saw power failure yesterday.
After the second tripping of the grid yesterday, it was officials of Power Grid Corporation of India, the state-owned firm which operates most of the electricity transmission lines in the country, who were tasked with the job of explaining the reasons for the failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth