Pragati Maidan to get armed commando security
New Delhi: Pragati Maidan, the sprawling mega-exhibitions facility which hosts trade fairs in the heart of national capital, will soon get an armed commando security cover in view of possible terror threats to the events held there.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has "in-principle" approved a proposal moved in this regard by the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) and the Central Industrial Security Force will be tasked to secure the activities round-the-clock at the 124-acre campus which offers about 61,290 sq meters of covered exhibition space in 16 halls, besides 10,000 sq meters of open display area.
"Security for the Pragati maidan exhibitions area is a very strong need keeping in mind the porosity and vulnerability of the facility.We are in talks with the Home Ministry and the decision for the deployment of security forces is in the final stage," ITPO chief and CMD Rita Menon told.
"The security of exhibitors, buyers and visitors is of paramount importance for us and we require a disciplined mechanism to secure the premises from threat of any kind," Menon, who had mooted and taken up the proposal with MHA authorities since she took over the reins of the autonomous body last year, said.
The Pragati maidan complex witnesses a huge rush of visitors and buyers during the popular exhibitions like Auto Expo and other trade fairs and display stalls on a variety of businesses and streams are a regular feature at the campus virtually round the year.
Security sources said a terror vulnerability profile of the facility and access points has already been carried out by experts and paramilitary officials and a special component of commando trained CISF men are expected to be deployed in the next two months.
A special vehicle-borne and sophisticated arms equipped squad of the force will be deployed at Pragati maidan complex to respond to any terror attack like situation, they said, adding that access control to the exhibitions area will be monitored by another team of the squad with help from private security guards.
The ITPO has also begun ear marking designated spots for placing of security gadgets of the CISF like X-ray baggage scanners, metal detectors and barracks for the paramilitary personnel.
ITPO is country`s premier trade promotion agency under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and it is tasked to showcase excellence achieved by the country in diverse fields especially trade and commerce through exhibitions and fairs.
Menon said the central security will initially be deployed for the Delhi premises and if need arises, its facilities in Chennai and Bangalore too could be extended this cover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'