Pranab accepts Kejriwal`s resignation, President`s Rule imposed in Delhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee imposed President`s rule in Delhi on Monday and accepted the Arvind Kejriwal government`s resignation. The Legislative Assembly will be kept in suspended animation.
"The President, on the advice of union cabinet, has imposed President`s rule in Delhi. The resignation of Arvind Kejriwal, chief minister of Delhi, along with his council of ministers, has been accepted by the President with immediate effect," said the press release issued by Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung`s office today.
Making a suo moto statement in both Houses of Parliament, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said following a factual report sent by Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung, the Union Cabinet had recommended imposition of President`s Rule in Delhi.
"The Hon`ble President has accepted the resignation of Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister of the GNCT of Delhi and his Council of Ministers and also approved the imposition of President`s Rule while keeping the Legislative Assembly in suspended animation," he said in identical statement made in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
Shinde said the Council of Ministers of the Government of the National Capital Territory of Delhi tendered its resignation on February 14.
The resignation of the AAP government came after it failed to introduce the Jan Lokpal Bill for the consideration of the Legislative Assembly.
"The bill was a finance bill and necessitated prior reference to the Central Government by the Lieutenant Governor which procedure had not been followed by the Government of NCT of Delhi," Shinde said.
According to a statement issued by the LG office, the President will now act through the Lt Governor for administering the National Capital Territory.
"In exercise of the functions and powers assumed by the President... It shall be lawful for President to act to such extent as he thinks fit through the Lt Governor for administering National Capital Territory in accordance with the provision of Article 239 and Article 239AA," the statement said.
Jung had sent a report to the President on the political situation in Delhi in the wake of resignation of the Aam Aadmi Party Government. He had also forwarded the resignation of AAP government to the President along with the report.
The AAP government had recommended to the Lt Governor to dissolve the Assembly and hold fresh elections.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25