Pranab braves winter chill, reviews annual parade of CRPF
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee braved a foggy and rainy morning and hopped on to an open jeep to review the annual parade of paramilitary
75-year-old Mukherjee, who was the chief guest at the
71st anniversary of the force, lost no time to board the
ceremonial vehicle with CRPF chief K Vijay Kumar as soon as
the parade commander requested him to inspect the smartly
dressed men and women drawn from formations across the
Tuesday morning, which saw light rains and cold
winds blowing, sent shivers amongst the audience in the large
ground with organisers trying to move the seats from getting
wet and putting sheets on the roof to prevent leakage.
Mukherjee, who was gifted the traditional `CRPF hat`
to wear, was received with tremendous applause when his jeep
reached the enclosure where the families of CRPF personnel
Kumar was also seen briefing Mukherjee about the
various columns and the formations they belong to, while the
minister was inspecting the parade.
Mukherjee also decorated the force personnel with
medals of distinguished and meritorious service.
The mercury was recorded at a low of 7.4 degree
Celsius this morning.
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is the world`s
largest paramilitary with almost 3-lakh personnel and is
deployed for anti-naxal, counter-insurgency and maintenance of
law and order duties across the country.
Raised in 1939 as the Crown`s Representative Police
(CRP), the force has been the first to have an independent
womens` battalion while it has also deputed it`s men and women
across the world for civil police duties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway