Pranab praises rape victim for being strong, courageous
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday praised the courage and tenacity of the Delhi gang rape victim and asked people to redouble efforts for women`s protection.
In a message on the eve of Christmas, the President expressed "anguish and distress" over the horrific attack on the 23-year-old girl in the national capital on December 16.
"We mark Christmas at a time when the nation is joined in anguish and distress over the recent horrific attack on a young girl in New Delhi," he said.
There have been wide spread protests across the city, including in front of Rashtrapati Bhavan over the weekend, with agitated youths demanding swift action against the perpetrators of the heinous crime.
"I laud the courage and tenacity of this young lady and her family. On this Christmas day, let us join in prayer for the full and speedy recovery of this strong and courageous girl," the President said.
The President, who devoted a significant portion of his customary message to the rape incident which has outraged the nation, asked the countrymen to resolve to "redouble efforts" for the protection of women and their welfare.
"Let us strive to ensure that women feel safe and secure at all times in our country," he said.
"May the Christmas bells dispel hatred and violence. As the world lights candles for Christmas this year, may the spirit of caring and sharing pervade our beings," Mukherjee said.
The President asked people to renew minds and hearts with the teachings of love and compassion of Jesus Christ and recalled his sacrifice for humanity.
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match