Pranab praises rape victim for being strong, courageous
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday praised the courage and tenacity of the Delhi gang rape victim and asked people to redouble efforts for women`s protection.
In a message on the eve of Christmas, the President expressed "anguish and distress" over the horrific attack on the 23-year-old girl in the national capital on December 16.
"We mark Christmas at a time when the nation is joined in anguish and distress over the recent horrific attack on a young girl in New Delhi," he said.
There have been wide spread protests across the city, including in front of Rashtrapati Bhavan over the weekend, with agitated youths demanding swift action against the perpetrators of the heinous crime.
"I laud the courage and tenacity of this young lady and her family. On this Christmas day, let us join in prayer for the full and speedy recovery of this strong and courageous girl," the President said.
The President, who devoted a significant portion of his customary message to the rape incident which has outraged the nation, asked the countrymen to resolve to "redouble efforts" for the protection of women and their welfare.
"Let us strive to ensure that women feel safe and secure at all times in our country," he said.
"May the Christmas bells dispel hatred and violence. As the world lights candles for Christmas this year, may the spirit of caring and sharing pervade our beings," Mukherjee said.
The President asked people to renew minds and hearts with the teachings of love and compassion of Jesus Christ and recalled his sacrifice for humanity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach