Pranab praises rape victim for being strong, courageous
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday praised the courage and tenacity of the Delhi gang rape victim and asked people to redouble efforts for women`s protection.
In a message on the eve of Christmas, the President expressed "anguish and distress" over the horrific attack on the 23-year-old girl in the national capital on December 16.
"We mark Christmas at a time when the nation is joined in anguish and distress over the recent horrific attack on a young girl in New Delhi," he said.
There have been wide spread protests across the city, including in front of Rashtrapati Bhavan over the weekend, with agitated youths demanding swift action against the perpetrators of the heinous crime.
"I laud the courage and tenacity of this young lady and her family. On this Christmas day, let us join in prayer for the full and speedy recovery of this strong and courageous girl," the President said.
The President, who devoted a significant portion of his customary message to the rape incident which has outraged the nation, asked the countrymen to resolve to "redouble efforts" for the protection of women and their welfare.
"Let us strive to ensure that women feel safe and secure at all times in our country," he said.
"May the Christmas bells dispel hatred and violence. As the world lights candles for Christmas this year, may the spirit of caring and sharing pervade our beings," Mukherjee said.
The President asked people to renew minds and hearts with the teachings of love and compassion of Jesus Christ and recalled his sacrifice for humanity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today