Pranab worried over frequent disruptions in legislatures
Mumbai: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday expressed his concern over the frequent disruptions in legislatures and said law-makers resorting to such acts are causing great disservice to people.
"After obtaining people`s mandate, we start misbehaving. If we do not discharge our minimum responsibility and try to gag others by resorting to disruption, I do feel we are causing a great deal of disservice to the people," Mukherjee said at the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards function here today.
"Nobody compels me to seek votes. We seek votes. We ask them give me votes, I would like to serve you and after obtaining that I do not do my work, I do not allow others to do their work, that is simply not acceptable," he added.
The President said his teachers had taught him that democracy has three essential Ds such as debate, dissension and decision.
"We were never told that there is a fourth `D` disruption," he said.
Mukherjee said the job of a law maker is never offered to anybody but sought for.
The country can never forget the core values of its 5000-year-old civilisation which is based on tolerance, pluralism, discipline, patriotism.
"We must imbibe these values in our deeds or we will be suddenly jolted as the consciousness of the whole country was tormented last December," he said referring to the Delhi gangrape incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins