‘Prefer `hinglish` over pure Hindi’ Govt
New Delhi: In a bid to overcome problems posed
by difficult Hindi words, Government has asked section
officers to use their "hinglish" replacements for easy
understanding and better promotion of the language.
The order issued by the Rajbhasha unit of Ministry of Home
Affairs was recently re-circulated in various offices after it
was officially mentioned that such puritan use of Hindi
generates disinterest among masses.
The circular recommended that difficult Hindi words can be
replaced with English alternatives in Devanagari script for
Citing examples, Department of Official Language at Home
Ministry said `misil` can be replaced with file, `pratyabhuti`
with guarantee, `kunjipatal` with keyboard and `sanganak` with
It also advocated use of popular Hindi words and English
alternatives to make the language more attractive and popular
in offices and masses.
"Whenever, during the official work, Hindi is used as
translating language, it becomes difficult and complex. There
is an urgent need to make changes in the process of English to
Hindi translations. Translations should carry expression of
the original text rather than word-by-word Hindi substitute,"
the circular said.
It said use of popular words of Urdu, English, and other
regional languages should be promoted in official
correspondence. Pure Hindi should be for literary purposes
while practical `mixed` version for work purposes.
It said it is better to use English terms in Devnagri
script than to translate them in pure Hindi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list