Prefer unified MCD, will raise it with BJP: Mayor Chandolia
New Delhi: Fresh after assuming the top municipal post in North Delhi on Monday, Mayor-elect Yogender Chandolia of BJP said he "preferred" a unified MCD and will raise the issue with the party`s state unit, even though it has a "trifurcated" civic body in its manifesto.
"I would prefer a unified MCD, I have worked in it before. There should never have been three municipal corporations in the Capital, but the Delhi government stubbornly decided to trifurcate it," Chandolia told reporters.
The 51-year-old new Mayor earlier served as the chairman of the standing committee in 2010-11 and 2011-12 terms during the unified Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) before its trifurcation.
"In my opinion there should be one MCD but I also know that state BJP in its manifesto talks of trifurcation. Since, it is party`s decision I have to follow it but I can tell you that I will raise the unified civic body issue with the party," Chandolia said.
He said, "Many employees have not been able to get their pensions and this problem would not have persisted if there was one municipal corporation."
Among major priorities for the NDMC, after him taking over the reigns from outgoing Mayor Azad Singh, Chandolia said "cleanliness and waterlogging and responsible governance will top the list."
"Cleanliness is a big issue for us, apart from waterlogging prevention with ensuing monsoons but what we wish to give to people of Delhi is responsible governance, and despite the trouble created by the Delhi government with trifurcation and other issues, people voted us in power," Chandolia said.
"We also want to work on maintenance of our parks in our larger goal of a prosperous and beautiful Delhi," he said.
BJP has been ruling the MCD for the last seven years, and Congress opposition and DPCC chief Arvinder Singh Lovely have in the past alleged "corruption" in all the three party-led corporations -- North, South and East.
The new Mayors has also asked the officials to start working immediately in the new term and said, "NDMC will work in co-operation with PWD also, as and when needed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak