Pregnant rape survivor moves Delhi HC seeking financial help
New Delhi: Abandoned by her family, a 19-year-old rape survivor, who is in the eighth month of her pregnancy, has moved the Delhi High Court seeking medical and financial assistance to give birth to her child.
The Centre and the Delhi government have been asked to file their replies to the plea in the court by June 6.
Appearing for the girl, her lawyers told the court that her family abandoned her due to social stigma. They added that she was now living in the house of one of her distant relatives.
"The victim is in a pitiable financial condition and cannot meet the expenses required for the delivery of child," they told the court.
Filing the plea, the girl has said she hails from a very poor family. She has said that one of the reasons why her family members abandoned her was because they were unable to meet the expenses required for her treatment.
"The stigma attached to deliver a child without marriage causes grave mental injury to the petitioner coupled with financial scarcity. The pregnancy caused by the rape and to carry a child in the womb as a result of conception through rape is extremely traumatic but also humiliating...," said the plea.
The plea alleges the girl was raped in October last year by her neighbour, who had threatened to kill her brother if she disclosed the incident to anyone.
"As per her medical examination on March 3, it was found that she was five months` pregnant," her lawyer told the court and added that she, thereafter, lodged a complaint with the police on March 4. The accused however is yet to be arrested.
The counsel also said the girl had moved the court to terminate her pregnancy but was advised by doctors against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you