Pregnant rape survivor moves Delhi HC seeking financial help
New Delhi: Abandoned by her family, a 19-year-old rape survivor, who is in the eighth month of her pregnancy, has moved the Delhi High Court seeking medical and financial assistance to give birth to her child.
The Centre and the Delhi government have been asked to file their replies to the plea in the court by June 6.
Appearing for the girl, her lawyers told the court that her family abandoned her due to social stigma. They added that she was now living in the house of one of her distant relatives.
"The victim is in a pitiable financial condition and cannot meet the expenses required for the delivery of child," they told the court.
Filing the plea, the girl has said she hails from a very poor family. She has said that one of the reasons why her family members abandoned her was because they were unable to meet the expenses required for her treatment.
"The stigma attached to deliver a child without marriage causes grave mental injury to the petitioner coupled with financial scarcity. The pregnancy caused by the rape and to carry a child in the womb as a result of conception through rape is extremely traumatic but also humiliating...," said the plea.
The plea alleges the girl was raped in October last year by her neighbour, who had threatened to kill her brother if she disclosed the incident to anyone.
"As per her medical examination on March 3, it was found that she was five months` pregnant," her lawyer told the court and added that she, thereafter, lodged a complaint with the police on March 4. The accused however is yet to be arrested.
The counsel also said the girl had moved the court to terminate her pregnancy but was advised by doctors against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB