President rejects Lokayukta`s recommendation to sack Chauhan
New Delhi: Ending months of uncertainty,
President Pratibha Patil has rejected the city Lokayukta`s
recommendation to sack Delhi PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan
for his alleged involvement in protecting a leading resort in
a tax evasion case.
The Home Ministry on Wednesday conveyed decision of the
President through a letter to Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin
who indicated his deep disappointment over rejection of his
recommendation, saying such reverses are expected when moral
values are sought to be enforced.
"The President has not accepted the findings and
recommendations made by the Lokayukta against Chauhan," the
Home Ministry said in the letter.
Sarin had in February recommended to the President to
"withdraw her pleasure" for the Minister to continue in
office, holding him guilty of misconduct of "grave nature".
Home Minister P Chidambaram, when asked about
President`s rejection of the Lokayukta`s recommendation, said
the procedure has been followed in dealing with the report by
the anti-corruption watchdog.
"There is a procedure to deal with the report. That
procedure has been followed," Chidambaram said.
Justice Sarin`s order had come in a case pertaining to
Chauhan`s alleged involvement in influencing a team of tax
officials when they were carrying out a survey in the Tivoli
Garden resort in South Delhi in February last year.
The Lokayukta order had said that "the Minister made a
telephone call to the Commissioner of Trade of Taxes in the
evening of February 20 last year when a team of tax officials
were carrying search and survey at the premises of Tivoli
Garden Resort to unearth huge evasion of taxes and concealment
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!