Prez decision not taken on Afzal Guru`s mercy peti
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday
said no decision has been taken by President Pratibha Patil on
Parliament attack accused Afzal Guru`s petition seeking
commutation of death sentence.
"President`s decision (on his mercy plea) is not made. So
there is no scope for discussion," he told reporters.
He was replying to a question about a resolution listed
by an independent MLA in Jammu and Kashmir seeking clemency
The resolution was stalled in the Assembly on September
28 after pandemonium broke out leading to adjournment of the
House without any business being transacted.
The private member`s resolution, submitted by Sheikh
Abdul Rashid, lapsed and cannot come up in the ongoing
nine-day Assembly session which ends on Tuesday.
When asked to comment on Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah`s recent comment that Guru case will lead to
fresh round of militancy in the state, Chidambaram reiterated,
"No decision yet on Afzal Guru`s mercy petition."
The issue hold prominence as the chief minister has
recently tweeted about Tamil Nadu Assembly passing a
resolution for convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination
Guru has been sentenced to death for his involvement in
2001 Parliament attack which killed 13 people and injured many
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in