Priest sentenced to 7 years jail term for raping school girl
New Delhi: A Delhi court has awarded seven years rigorous imprisonment to a priest for raping a school girl in 2004 when she had gone to offer the prayer in a temple here.
"Convict Prem Dass did not consider the fact that by doing so he would shake the religious beliefs of the public at large as well as the conscience of society which holds the
priests of temples in high esteem," Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Sanjeev Aggarwal said.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on Prem Dass after holding him guilty under section 376 (rape) of IPC.
"The testimony of the victim has been found to be cogent and consistent and there is no reason to discard her testimony," it said.
It, however, rapped the police for not proving the alleged fact that the victim, a student of class 8th of a government school here, was a minor at the time of the incident.
The victim, who had gone to a temple at Narela here in May, 2004, was raped by the priest when she had gone inside his room in the complex to drink water.
The accused threatened her not to tell about the incident to others, she testified.
The victim further said the priest continued to rape her for about 9 months and later she informed her parents who, in turn, lodged an FIR.
The accused took the plea that he was implicated as parents of the girl wanted to grab a piece of the land on which the temple was built.
The court, however, rejected the plea saying "the defence of the accused stands unsubstantiated as no evidence was led by him despite being afforded an opportunity to do so."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you