Priest sentenced to 7 years jail term for raping school girl
New Delhi: A Delhi court has awarded seven years rigorous imprisonment to a priest for raping a school girl in 2004 when she had gone to offer the prayer in a temple here.
"Convict Prem Dass did not consider the fact that by doing so he would shake the religious beliefs of the public at large as well as the conscience of society which holds the
priests of temples in high esteem," Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Sanjeev Aggarwal said.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on Prem Dass after holding him guilty under section 376 (rape) of IPC.
"The testimony of the victim has been found to be cogent and consistent and there is no reason to discard her testimony," it said.
It, however, rapped the police for not proving the alleged fact that the victim, a student of class 8th of a government school here, was a minor at the time of the incident.
The victim, who had gone to a temple at Narela here in May, 2004, was raped by the priest when she had gone inside his room in the complex to drink water.
The accused threatened her not to tell about the incident to others, she testified.
The victim further said the priest continued to rape her for about 9 months and later she informed her parents who, in turn, lodged an FIR.
The accused took the plea that he was implicated as parents of the girl wanted to grab a piece of the land on which the temple was built.
The court, however, rejected the plea saying "the defence of the accused stands unsubstantiated as no evidence was led by him despite being afforded an opportunity to do so."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India