Prisoner`s plea under RTI Act for his case docs dismissed
New Delhi: The North Delhi district courts
information office has dismissed a Tihar Jail inmate`s plea
made under the Right to Information Act to provide him court orders and other documents of his criminal case.
Appellate Authority (North) under the RTI Act, Additional
Sessions Judge Madhu Jain asked Rajpal Singh Rangila to obtain
the certified copies of his requisite documents from the
court`s copying agency instead, under the established
procedure laid down for the purpose.
ASJ Jain also pointed out to him that the Delhi District
Courts (Right to Information) Rules provides for denial of
information and documents regarding judicial proceedings under
"The appellant, if he wishes, can obtain the certified
copies of required documents from copying agency after
completing the necessary formalities. When there is specific
provision in the court to obtain the copy of any order, file
etc., the appellant is required to follow the same," said
"Under the garb of RTI, he cannot be allowed to negate
those provisions," she added.
The order came on an appeal under RTI Act by undertrial
Rangila challenging the August 26 order of the North Delhi
district courts` Public Information Officer (PIO).
Rangila had made the plea under the RTI Act for obtaining
certified copies of documents pertaining to a case of cheating
and criminal conspiracy in which he was in judicial custody.
He was told by the PIO that the documents he had sought
have been sent to Copying Agency (CA) by the ahlmad (clerk) of
the court hearing his matter and the same can be obtained
after filling a prescribed form and depositing the requisite
Rangila, however, went in appeal against the PIO`s order
saying that he had made a request to the copying agency but
the same was returned to him in Tihar Jail with the remarks
that agency`s fees is to be paid in cash and not by Indian
Postal Order as was enclosed by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday