Priyadarshini Mattoo`s killer gets 13 days parole
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has granted 13 days parole to Santosh Kumar Singh, undergoing life sentence in the Priyadarshini Mattoo rape and murder case, to appear in his LLM examination.
The court directed Singh to furnish a personal bond of Rs 25,000 before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Saket while allowing his plea against the single judge`s order dismissing his application for parole.
A bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath granted Singh parole from May 16 to 28 and directed the Tihar jail authority to allow him to appear for LLM 2nd year examination after his personal bond is accepted by the magistrate.
In his plea, Singh said that he has been pursuing LLM from Annamalai University through distance education and sought parole to appear in 2nd year examination commencing from May 19.
He also said the court had earlier granted him parole to appear in the 1st year examination in 2012.
On April 17, the single judge had declined his plea saying Tihar jail can facilitate him to take his examination within the prison.
Singh, a law student in the Delhi University, had raped and murdered Mattoo, a third-year law student, in January 1996.
He was acquitted by the trial court on December 3, 1999, but the Delhi High Court had on October 27, 2006 reversed that decision, holding him guilty of rape and murder.
The high court had also awarded death penalty to him in the case. Singh, son of a former senior IPS officer, had challenged his conviction and death sentence awarded by the high court.
In October 2010, the Supreme Court had upheld Singh`s conviction but reduced the death sentence to life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack